2019 New Zealand Sports Law Symposium
9:15am Friday, 23 August 2019
5:00pm Friday, 23 August 2019
New Zealand Sports Law Symposium
Minter Ellison Rudd Watts
88 Shortland StAuckland, Auckland 1140
Join members, guests and distinguished speakers at this year's ANZSLA NZ Sports Law Symposium.
Session 1: Hot Topics
- Caster Semenya: Summary of the CAS decision and Implications for Athletes and IAAF (via video call).
Speaker: Jonathan Taylor, QC - Bird & Bird, London Law Firm
- Israel Folau: Where to from here?
Speaker: Aaron Lloyd, Partner, Minter Ellison Rudd Watts
- Commercial Issues arising from the successful German Challenge to relaxing the IOC's Rule 40
Speaker: Tara Pryor, NZOC Chief Operations Officer
Session 2: The Professional Broadcasting Rights Market for Professional Sports in Australia
- Recent trends and what the future holds
- A New Zealand Prespective
Speaker: Jeff Latch, Head of Spark Sport
Session 3: Sports Law Review 2018 - 2019
- Sports Law Review 2018-2019
Speaker: Paul David, QC
Session 4: Governance Panel
- Discussion on current issues in governance
Chair: Don Mackinnon, Partner, SBM Legal
Panel: Maria Clarke, Principal, Maria Clarke Lawyers; Bruce Cotterill, Independent Director; Cameron Taylor, Chair Athletics NZ
Session 5: Player Welfare panel discussion: A Review of the reviews into player welfare
- What are the lessons to be learned? What actions are sports taking as a result? What are the pros and cons of such reviews? Where to for Player Welfare?
Chair: Ian Hunt, Partner, Young Hunter Lawyers
Panel: Stephen Cottrell, Principal, Cottsport; Steph Bond, NZ Netball Players Assn; Neena Ullal, Legal Counsel, HPSNZ; Stacey Michelson, Captain, NZ Black Sticks; Scott Goodman, High Performance Director, Athletics NZ
Followed by refreshments and a networking opportunity.
This event is generously supported by: